Moving has never been and never will be an easy job. Even a small scale move can prove to be troublesome if done incorrectly. Whenever you are planning a move you need to step back and look at the bigger picture. Can you do it yourself? Should you hire professional help? Most of the time, it is preferable to hire a company to do the move for you. But even then, you need to find a company that fits your moving needs, as many companies specialize in different types of moves. Most importantly, you need to find a reliable and reputable company, which is not too expensive at the same time. With the help of this guide, you will know how to find movers that fit your needs and your budget.
Looking for movers? Start local
Even though the internet is at your fingertips and contains an infinite amount of data, sometimes it’s good to step away from the keyboard and do things the old fashioned way. Grab your phonebook, and try to pinpoint at least three movers that operate in your area. Alternatively, contact your real estate agent and ask for recommendations. While we are on the topic of recommendations, extend your research by contacting friends, coworkers or relatives who have recently moved. You never know what kind of information you’ll gather. After all, word of mouth is the best kind of organic advertisement. People close to you surely won’t do you wrong when it comes to situations like this. By going local and seeking recommendations, you will not only support local businesses but will also gain crucial knowledge that may shorten your quest for the best moving company drastically.
How to find movers that fit your needs the best
After you are done with your research, it is time to start sifting through the candidates to find that one moving company that was made just for you. As previously mentioned, different moving companies specialize in different types of moves. Thus, it is crucial to know what kind of move you are about to undergo. Also, you need to know what types of moving services exist on the market in order to select the moving company that specializes in that field. Hiring a specialized mover will save you time an also ensure that the move goes as smooth as possible. You will rest easy knowing that your goods are in the hands of professionals.
Most common types of moving services on the market
- Local moving companies – Companies such as these specialize in short-distance moves, usually within the boundaries of the state you are in, or up to 100 miles.
- Long-distance moving companies – Long distance movers specialize in interstate moves. However, an intrastate move that exceeds 100 miles can also be considered a long-distance one.
- International moving companies – These companies play a role when moving from country to country. They are one of the most complex moving operations, due to all of the customs rules and shipping regulations.
- Commercial movers – These moving companies specialize in relocating entire businesses, shops, and warehouses. Due to the complexity of the moves, their prices can be quite high.
- Special moving services – Companies that offer these services deal with valuable, fragile, or otherwise difficult items. These may include pianos, fine arts, wine collections, and safes.
- Full moving services – This service includes everything from packing and loading, moving, to unloading and unpacking the goods at the destination. As such, it is the most used as it is the safest and most reliable.
- Partial moving services – You can request these kinds of services if you do not need or do not want a full service. Here you can find special services such as packing, loading/unloading, or storage units for temporary containment of items.
- Vehicle transportation – Specialized auto shipping is used to transport motor vehicles from place to place. This is most commonly used if you do not wish to spend the extra time driving to your new location and need your vehicle ready to use your new surroundings.
Know what you are working with
Knowing how to find movers takes time and effort, and you need to be prepared. Once you narrowed down the list of companies for hire, phone them individually and ask about the services they provide and how they operate as a company. Unfortunately, the moving industry is full of malicious and dishonest companies so you need to avoid these if you want to save your money and nerves. Companies that refuse to provide transparent, specific data should be avoided.
Important questions you need to ask when trying to find movers:
- Does the company have a license? – This is the most important question since a legal company needs to operate under a license. A company should either have a state license or a license issued by the US DOT, depending on if the company does interstate or intrastate moves.
- Is the company insured? – Moving insurance is an absolute must. A company without insurance is most likely a scam waiting to happen.
- How long has the company been in operation? – The longer the company is around, the more experience they have. Experience in the field is often more important than the equipment in use.
- Does the company offer packing services? – Packing is a vital part of any move. Even if you probably can do it yourself, sometimes you should leave it to the pros to make sure your goods arrive at their destination in one piece. Bonus points to the company if they sell packing materials.
- Is the company willing to do an in-house price estimation? – An in-house estimate is far more precise than any kind of phone or online estimate you can get. With it, the company will know what they are dealing with, and you will have a much clearer picture regarding costs. In-house estimates must have a fixed number and should never vary.
A few more words of advice
There are a few more minor yet crucial details you should look out for. Always ask the company to provide a full list of charges for their service. This way, you will know what you are dealing with and will be able to avoid scams. Hidden fees are the most common occurrence in moving fraud cases.
Another good tip is to head down to the headquarters of the mover you plan on choosing, and talk to their representatives face to face. This also provides you with a great opportunity to see what kind of building they are operating from and the equipment they are using. Businesses operated from a garage or unlabeled trucks could be a warning sign. Moving is always a draining experience, but it is up to you to minimize the stress. With this guide on how to find movers, your experience will be much much better and relaxed.